Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Gregory and Our Tour

I last left you with me sleeping through dinner. To pick up, I was soon awaken by a loud beating on my door by Luke who, to my disappointment, informed me that I had indeed slept through dinner. There were no worries though since the bistro on campus was to open at 8. Luke, my roommate Ben, another fellow peer, Harrison, myself, and a couple of the girls (Kate, ehem, ...) also accompanying us on our trip all went down to the Bistro for a drink (and food, at least for me). Myself and Luke both purchased a Balmers, a cider beer that was rather large but good. I also added a cheese toasty to go along which would tide me over until later.
As we drank our beers, both the bartender and the security guard Rob joined us to watch Britain's Got Talent. I must say, it is as disappointing as the US version, lol. Nonetheless, we were entertained long enough to finish our beers. After doing so, Luke and I decided to hit up the nearest pub called The Gregory. Named after the second family to own Harlaxton Manor, the pub is stationed at the very end of the Village about a mile straight down from our stay.
However, this knowledge wasn't quite privy to us and as a result, when we were faced with either taking a bend that led straight to the village or going straight to the gate, we chose the bend and found ourselves winding in and out of little culdesacs until finally making our way through the oddly quiet little village and in front of The Gregory.
As we approached, we each noticed the prospect of our being underdressed, though at least luke had on decent shoes, as I was still sporting my hiking boots. Regardless, we entered and immediately took a seat at the small, but tasteful bar. The bartender noticed us soon after and told us it would be just a moment as he walked away, during which Luke and I simply sat and looked on at all the drink specials, trying to decide on our first real pub beer.
When the bartender returned and asked us what it would be, I incorrectly asked for a duchars (deuchars IPA which is pronounced yuchars) and Luke, a Directors. We each paid and cheered to our first beer in England. Perhaps too soon, we were finished and ready for another. This time we both decided on a Guinness, which, might I strongly add was much better than in the states and it still wasn't even the true Irish batch. This time, when it came to pay, I tried to apply some etiquette a fellow peer had spoken of earlier at the bistro concerning tipping. I told the gentleman along with my beer, "and one for you." He smiled, as though embarrassed for me, and politely declined. If the traffic being on opposite sides of the road wasn't enough of a reminder of our being foreigners, little cultural indicators like this most certainly were.
Fortunately there had been four or so gentlemen to our left, all of whom knew one another and were cracking up with jokes no doubt. While I don't quite recall how we were integrated into their conversation, soon enough, Luke and I found ourselves in friendly conversation with all of these lads. One, we were told was actually from Scotland while the others were true Englishmen. We talked about everything from the recent devastation in Joplin, to Obama, to the Tea Party, and even perceptions of the U.S. At one point, one of the gents walked us over to a map on the wall and began pointing out where the other men lived, directing our attention to little numbered plots of land in the village. We realized at this point how small this village was, as well as how intimate its inhabitants were. After some more talk, we looked to discover it was a little after midnight.
Still in need of shampoo and other items, Luke and I told our newfound friends that we had to get going. They asked us to stay for one more but upon doing so we told them we had to get to Grantham to the ASDA (Wal-Mart here) in order to get some items. Simon, one of the gentlemen, quickly offered to give us a ride, being that he lived there anyway. About ten minutes later we were in front of the ASDA and bidding Simon farewell.
I'm afraid, I must end here (another disjointed blog entry, I apologize.) Today we are travelling to Chatsworth and breakfast has just started. I will pick up later with the rest and hopefully catch up on today's events as well. Until again,




From Harlaxton Village
The Front Couryard

Thank you,

Keith

4 comments:

  1. warm beer....ewwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. saw you will have another blog in about an hour. So excited about reading your update

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh keith the pics are incredible...pics of the Gregory had just showed up on your blog. How awesome is it? Beyond words i am certain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome, I mean, I keep using that damn word here, everywhere I travel, but is really is something spectacular.

    ReplyDelete